The Department of social services is tasked with the audit of regularity audits of 6 Ministries with 67 programmes which provide Social Services to the nation, 37 capital projects accounts and 28 of the projects have been commissioned to the private auditors, because of limited resources in the department e.g. Manpower. The Department also takes part in the audit of the Annual Public Accounts which are expected to take 90 days of the time allocated to the department.
Objectives of the department:
- The Department assists the Auditor General to accomplish the Office Mission statement and formation of the audit opinion through the following objectives.
- To carry out audits of Capital projects and Ministries in accordance with the generally accepted standards.
- To ascertain whether the funds appropriated by Parliament to the Social services Ministries has been spent for intended purposes.
- To ascertain whether proper books of accounts are maintained by the Ministries and Projects.
- To ascertain whether the internal controls, rules and procedures established are sufficient to safeguard public property.
- To monitor, evaluate and assess adequacy of evidence and work performed including work commissioned to private auditors.
- To produce audit inspection and financial reports on work performed.
- To advice auditees by making recommendations on the best practice and on improvement on the financial statements.
- To develop the department by making recommendations to the training department on training needs for the staff.